Advocating for our children ... healthy, educated, safe
Our Work: Juvenile Justice
- Voices developed a Guidebook for Youth and Parents to the South Dakota Juvenile Justice System. Written in question-and-answer format, this guide provides information to court-involved youth and their parents. The guidebook is now in its third edition.
- South Dakota Voices for Children convened a series of regional juvenile justice planning sessions that resulted in adoption of the following principles:
Based on these principles, Voices successfully advocated for a change in state law to bring South Dakota into compliance with the federal Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention Act.
- Ensure safety - of the community and of the child.
- Place youthful offenders in the least restrictive environment.
- Create regional community-based services that are delivered within a coordinated state system.
- Be cost-effective in the delivery of all services.
- Voices developed the first-of-its-kind directory of juvenile justice services for each of South Dakota's nine tribes. This directory is updated annually.